Malawi has brought home more than 38,000 of its citizens from South Africa in just one month, as fear and violence drive thousands of migrants to leave the country.
The return follows weeks of protests and unrest in South Africa, where some groups have accused foreign nationals of taking jobs and straining public resources. The tensions have turned deadly, according to Arab News. Police say at least four migrants, including two from Mozambique, one from Malawi, and one from Ethiopia have been killed in violence linked to the protests.
Since early June, Malawi has organized a large-scale effort to bring its citizens back. According to the country’s disaster management department, 38,094 people returned between June 7 and July 8, many traveling long distances under difficult conditions.
Six people died during the journey. Officials said they were already ill but were unable to access medicine or healthcare as they fled. Some had been moving from place to place to avoid threats, while others spent time in temporary camps where their conditions worsened.
More than 570 buses were used in the operation, highlighting the scale of the crisis. At South Africa’s Beitbridge border post, most of the nearly 46,000 people processed since June have been Malawians, followed by Zimbabweans.
The exodus is not limited to Malawi. Zimbabwe says it has helped over 21,000 citizens return home, while Uganda has repatriated around 1,100 people. Others, including nationals from Ghana and Nigeria, have left by air.
In total, South African authorities estimate that around 60,000 migrants have either been repatriated or deported in recent weeks, reflecting a growing regional humanitarian concern.

