Trump Seeks Deal with Iran as Fighting Escalates, but Hopes for Peace Remain Dim
President Donald Trump appears eager to strike a deal with Iran to end the war that has swept across the Middle East, though Israeli officials say such an agreement remains highly unlikely, according to Arab News.
Three senior Israeli officials told reporters on Tuesday that they believe Iran will not accept Washington’s demands, which are expected to include limits on Tehran’s nuclear and missile programs. Talks between the two sides broke down late last month, shortly after the start of the U.S.-Israeli military campaign against Iran.
Trump wrote on social media Monday that the United States and Iran had held “very good and productive” discussions aimed at a “complete and total resolution of hostilities.” Iranian leaders quickly denied that claim.
“No negotiations have been held with the U.S.,” Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf posted on X, accusing Washington of spreading “fake news to manipulate financial and oil markets.”
The exchange came as tensions in the region deepened. On Tuesday, Iranian missiles struck Tel Aviv, wounding several people and shattering windows in the city center. “We saw destruction, smoke, and chaos,” said rescue worker Yoel Moshe. “It looked far worse than it was.”
Israel retaliated with airstrikes in southern Beirut, targeting areas linked to the Hezbollah group. Lebanese officials said two civilians were killed. Elsewhere in the Gulf, fragments from Israeli air defenses caused power outages in Kuwait, while Saudi Arabia reported destroying 19 Iranian drones. Missile sirens sounded in Bahrain.
Meanwhile, oil markets reacted nervously to the shifting situation. Trump announced a five-day extension of Iran’s deadline to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial sea route for global energy trade, temporarily lowering prices before they rebounded above $100 a barrel. Analysts said the president’s delay might be aimed at easing market pressure or buying time for U.S. forces moving into position.
The Pentagon has dispatched thousands of Marines to the region, fueling speculation that Washington could attempt to seize Kharg Island, a vital hub for Iran’s oil exports. U.S. airstrikes hit the island earlier this month, damaging its defenses but reportedly sparing oil facilities.
The New York-based Soufan Center think tank suggested that Trump might be using talk of negotiations as a “cover” while preparing military options. “He could be positioning U.S. assets for action, while keeping diplomatic doors open,” the analysts wrote. “Whether Iran responds remains uncertain.”
Iranian officials doubt Trump’s sincerity. Lawmaker Esmail Kowsari told the Fars news agency that Washington and its allies “seek to create division so that people lose trust in their own leaders.” He urged caution, saying, “We must think wisely.”
For now, Trump insists that he wants peace but has not ruled out sending ground troops. Israel has indicated it could support such an operation if ordered.
The human toll of the conflict continues to rise. Iran’s Health Ministry reports more than 1,500 dead. In Israel, 15 people have been killed by Iranian strikes. The U.S. military has lost 13 service members, and more than a dozen civilians have died in attacks across the West Bank and Gulf states.
As missiles fall and rumors of diplomacy swirl, the war’s future remains uncertain, caught between the sounds of rockets overhead and the faint echo of negotiations that may never take place.

