Vienna on Edge After Seven Schools Targeted in Bomb Hoax

Austria

Vienna authorities launched a major security operation Friday morning after multiple bomb threats were sent to educational institutions across the Austrian capital. Police said at least seven schools received nearly identical email warnings, prompting immediate evacuations and large-scale searches for explosives.

One of the main targets was the School of Health and Nursing on Erdbergstrasse, where classes were interrupted and the entire campus was cleared. Students and staff were escorted to safety while bomb disposal units and sniffer dogs combed the area for suspicious items.

By early afternoon, police confirmed that no explosives or dangerous materials had been found at any of the sites. Investigators suspect the incident may be linked to a recent spate of hoax bomb threats that have disrupted institutions across Vienna and other European cities in recent weeks.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the sender of the threatening emails but said the case is being treated with “the highest priority.” Cybercrime specialists are reportedly working to trace the origin of the messages.

Police warned that anyone found responsible could face severe criminal penalties, including prison time, under Austria’s laws against public endangerment and terror threats.

Friday’s incident marks the latest in a string of false alarms that have unsettled the city’s schools and public offices, stirring renewed debate over security preparedness and the psychological toll of repeated evacuations.

For many in Vienna, the morning’s disruptions ended in relief but also in weary familiarity, as the capital confronts yet another reminder of how fear can travel faster than fact.