Spain Plans Mainland Transfer for 500 Ceuta Girls

Europe

Madrid Defies EU Position over Migrant Children

The Spanish government is preparing to move about 500 unaccompanied migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland Spain, placing the welfare of the children at the centre of a growing dispute with Brussels and Morocco, according to Euro News.

The girls arrived in Ceuta during a mass migrant crossing on 30 and 31 July. Spanish officials are now working on an emergency plan to provide them with safe accommodation and specialised care on the mainland. The proposal could include a royal decree requiring Spain’s autonomous communities to share responsibility for receiving the minors.

Another option would allow child-protection organisations to manage the most vulnerable cases in specially prepared facilities. Under this arrangement, legal guardianship would not necessarily have to be transferred to the autonomous communities.

The plan comes as several Spanish regions have refused to accept unaccompanied minors from the Ceuta influx. The central government has accused them of failing to show solidarity, while Ceuta says its own services are under severe pressure.

Spanish authorities said the National Police had identified 2,168 minors in Ceuta by Tuesday. The number is far beyond the city’s normal care capacity, leaving children in crowded and difficult conditions.

Spain’s Minister for Inclusion, Social Security and Migration, Elma Saiz, said the government’s first duty was to protect the “best interests of the child”. She said the girls had been placed together in secure areas to protect them from sexual violence. Several rape cases reported in recent days have been referred to the courts.

The government has provided Ceuta with €25 million to help manage the emergency. However, the long-term future of the children remains uncertain.

Morocco has asked Spain to return Moroccan citizens still in the enclave. The European Commission has also said that all migrants remaining irregularly in Ceuta, including unaccompanied minors, should be returned under EU law.

Commission spokesperson Markus Lammert said the priority was for Spain and Morocco to maintain control of the situation and ensure swift returns.

That position puts Brussels at odds with Madrid’s developing plan. While the EU stresses migration rules, Spain says the children’s safety and protection must come first.