Russia Warns U.S. Over Ukraine Arms in Manila Talks

International

Russia has warned the United States against continuing arms deliveries to Ukraine, calling such support “unacceptable” during a high-level meeting between the two countries’ top diplomats, according to Hurriyet Daily News.

The warning came as Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov met U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on July 23 in Manila, where both were attending a summit hosted by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). According to Russia’s foreign ministry, Lavrov stressed that ongoing military aid to what he called the “Kiev regime” would only prolong the war.

The meeting, held behind closed doors, offered a rare moment of direct engagement between Washington and Moscow as the war in Ukraine drags on with no clear path to resolution. Neither side addressed reporters afterward, but both acknowledged the importance of continued dialogue.

The U.S. State Department said the talks focused on the broader U.S.-Russia relationship and the urgent need to end the conflict. Rubio noted a day earlier that the war has strained cooperation between the two powers, though he added that Washington remains open to finding common ground where possible.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said he had spoken with U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner about restarting stalled peace efforts. Diplomatic progress has largely frozen in recent months, with Russia insisting Ukraine give up territory and Kyiv refusing.

The conflict continues to intensify on the ground. Ukraine has expanded long-range drone strikes targeting Russian energy infrastructure, while Moscow has launched deadly missile and drone attacks, including a recent barrage that killed at least 30 people in Kyiv.

Beyond Ukraine, tensions between the U.S. and Russia are also rising over the Middle East, particularly after Washington carried out strikes on Iran, a key Russian ally.