Deadly Mosque Shooting in San Diego Leaves Five Dead, Sparks Hate Crime Probe

International

Five people, including two suspected attackers, were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego on Monday, shocking the local community and prompting a hate crime investigation, reported by ORF News.

San Diego Police said three adult men were killed inside the mosque complex, including a security guard. The two suspects, aged 17 and 18, were later found dead nearby from what authorities believe were self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

The shooting began around 11:40 a.m. in the Clairemont neighborhood. Police responded quickly and declared the threat “neutralised” within hours. All children attending a day school at the mosque were safely accounted for.

Police Chief Scott Wahl said investigators are treating the incident as a possible hate crime because of the location. Authorities are working with the FBI to examine evidence, including a note and weapons reportedly linked to the suspects. Early findings suggest the presence of hate-related language, though officials say there was no specific prior threat to the mosque.

In a related incident, a landscaper nearby was struck by a bullet, but his helmet deflected it, saving his life.

Officials revealed that one suspect’s mother had contacted police earlier that day, reporting her son missing and possibly suicidal. She also warned that he had taken weapons from home, raising concerns of a broader threat.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria strongly condemned the attack, calling it “extremely outrageous” and rejecting Islamophobia. “Hate has no home in San Diego,” he said, promising swift justice.

Community members expressed grief and disbelief. Imam Taha Hassane urged unity and compassion, warning against rising hatred. “All of us are responsible for spreading tolerance and love,” he said.

Local residents said there had been no recent threats to the mosque, though minor incidents had occurred years earlier. Bulletproof windows had been installed as a precaution.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations also condemned the attack, stressing that no one should fear for their safety while praying or attending school.

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities work to understand the motives behind the violence.