Tehran, Iran – Iran says its review of the United States’s response to a European-Union drafted text to restore their 2015 nuclear deal will take several more days as Qatar continues to mediate between the sides.
Reviewing the US response at expert levels is ongoing and will take “at least” until the end of the week, Nournews, an outlet affiliated with the Supreme National Security Council of Iran, said in a tweet on Sunday.
The working week in Iran ends on Friday, so a response appears unlikely before September 2.
Iran had sent its response to the European text earlier this month, and Washington submitted its own feedback to the text on Wednesday, more than a week after the Iranian response.
The EU’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, has described both responses as “reasonable”, and said he plans to organise more meetings in Vienna to finalise an agreement if possible.
Meanwhile, Qatar – which hosted a two-day round of indirect talks between Tehran and Washington mediated by the EU in late June – has continued to mediate and relay messages between the sides.
According to the Qatari foreign ministry, Assistant Foreign Minister for Regional Affairs Mohammed bin Abdulaziz bin Saleh Al-Khulaifi met with Iran’s chief negotiator Ali Bagheri Kani in Tehran on Saturday to discuss the talks.
Al-Khulaifi “stressed the importance of advancing further in order to revive the nuclear agreement which is in the interest of the security and stability of the region”, a foreign ministry statement said.
The Qatari official then had a phone call with the EU’s Enrique Mora, who acts as the coordinator for the nuclear talks.
Iran did not report or comment on the meeting with the Qatari official.__Al Jazeera