Austrian police have struck another blow against cross-border gangs of ATM bombers, arresting four suspects in Upper Austria on August 19 immediately after a blast. Eight more individuals were identified, bringing the number of alleged gang members tracked down by the special task force “SOKO Bankomat” to 19, as reported by Austrian News Agency.
The arrests were possible thanks to intelligence from Dutch authorities, who tipped off investigators that suspects had crossed into Austria. With the gang’s vehicle already on their radar, Austrian police quickly launched surveillance. “It was a cat-and-mouse game,” said Upper Austria’s police chief Andreas Pilsl. The pursuit ended when officers, backed by the Cobra special forces unit, intercepted the group after an ATM explosion in Hofkirchen im Traunkreis.
The suspects, mainly from the Netherlands and Germany, have been tied to at least three ATM attacks. “Every blast poses a serious risk to the public. Solving all cases in Upper Austria is a major success,” Pilsl said.
Officials emphasized the importance of international cooperation. “It’s a textbook example of how local expertise, national coordination, and cross-border collaboration can work together,” said Lower Austria police chief Franz Popp. Europol confirmed that most of these gangs originate in the Netherlands, but tighter security there has pushed them toward Germany and Austria.
Andreas Holzer, head of Austria’s Federal Criminal Police Office, estimated the wider network of perpetrators and accomplices at 600 to 1,000 people. “Our aim is to dismantle these groups and strengthen security both in Austria and across Europe,” he said.
So far this year, Austria has logged 28 ATM explosions, 13 of them unsuccessful. Since March, the task force has arrested 19 suspects and identified 42 across Europe.

