Iran Dismisses US Talks While Missiles and Airstrikes Escalate

International

Iran has not requested a ceasefire in its ongoing conflict with Israel and sees no reason to hold talks with the United States, according to Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Speaking in an interview with CBS News, Araghchi said Tehran believes diplomacy with Washington is pointless at the moment.

“We have never asked for a ceasefire,” Araghchi said, adding that Iran does not see any reason to negotiate with the US. He explained that Iran had been engaged in discussions with Washington before tensions sharply escalated. “We were talking with them when they decided to attack us,” he said.

His comments come as fighting between Israel and Iran intensifies, with both sides exchanging strikes across the region. The Israeli military announced that it is widening the scope of its operations, targeting additional areas in western and central Iran. Military officials said the expansion is part of efforts to weaken Iran’s military infrastructure and missile capabilities.

Meanwhile, Iran has continued to launch missiles toward Israeli territory. In Tel Aviv, emergency services responded to several fires that broke out after a missile strike. Videos circulating online showed plumes of smoke rising above parts of the city as firefighters worked to contain the damage.

The conflict has raised fears among civilians on both sides. In Tehran, some residents expressed deep concern about the growing violence. “At this pace we will end up with a ruined Iran,” one man in the capital told the BBC.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump said Iran appeared interested in reaching an agreement, though he suggested any potential deal would have to meet stricter conditions. Speaking on Saturday, Trump said Iran “wanted to make a deal,” but added that the terms discussed so far were “not good enough.”

The situation remains highly volatile as military actions continue and diplomatic paths appear uncertain. Analysts warn that without renewed negotiations, the risk of further escalation could grow, raising concerns about wider instability in the region.

For now, both sides appear determined to continue their operations, leaving the possibility of peace talks unclear.