QUETTA: Six security personnel embraced martyrdom and at least two others sustained injuries in two separate incidents of improvised explosive device (IED) explosion and a shootout with terrorists in Balochistan, while nine people were injured in two separate bomb blasts in the provincial capital on Sunday.
The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) – media wing of the military—stated in separate press releases that the IED exploded during an intelligence-based operation (IBO), which had been under way in the Kahan area of Kohlu district since Saturday.
“Resultantly, Capt Fahad and four other brave sons of soil, Lance Naik Imtiaz, Sepoy Asghar, Sepoy Mehran and Sepoy Shamoon embraced Shahadat, laying [down] their lives in defence of the motherland against an externally perpetrated threat of terrorism,” the ISPR said.
In a separate press release, the ISPR said that a soldier was martyred and two others sustained injuries in an exchange of fire with terrorists during another (IBO) in the Sambaza area of the Zhob district. The IBO aimed at stopping terrorists from using suspected routes to move across the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, it added.
“Based on credible intelligence, an operation was launched in Sambaza area of Zhob, to stop terrorists from using few suspected routes to move across the Pakistan-Afghanistan border and to sneak into Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P), along the interprovincial boundary and target citizens and security forces,” it said.
“As a result of continuous surveillance and sanitisation of the area, a group of terrorists was intercepted in the early hours today (Sunday). During the establishment of blocking positions to deny them escape routes, terrorists opened fire onto the security forces,” the ISPR added.
The heavy exchange of fire between the security forces and the militants resulted in the killing of one terrorist, while Sepoy Haq Nawaz embraced martyrdom. “The terrorists were supported by their facilitators from across the border as well during the exchange of fire,” it said. A sanitisation operation continued in the area.
“Such cowardly acts by inimical elements cannot sabotage the hard-earned peace and prosperity in Balochistan. Security Forces remain determined to challenge their nefarious designs, even at the cost of blood and lives,” ISPR said
Hours later, nine people were injured in two separate bomb explosions in Quetta, police said. They added that five people, including three policemen, were injured in a grenade attack on a police mobile in the Satellite town, while four people were wounded in a bomb blast outside a police station on Sabzal Road.
Meanwhile, President Arif Alvi and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif paid rich tributes to the martyred security personnel. They condoled with the families of the martyrs and prayed for the speedy recovery of those injured.
Prime Minister Shehbaz also praised the security forces for taking effective action against terrorists. “The brave sons of the nation are crushing the ambitions of the terrorists. The nation salutes its martyrs,” the prime minister added.
Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah expressed deep sorrow and grief over the martyrdom of Capt Fahad and his colleagues due to an explosion in Kahan. “We will still destroy terrorists with all our strength. Every single terrorist and enemy of the country will be wiped out,” he added.
Balochistan Home Minister, Mir Ziaullah Langove strongly condemned the bomb explosions in Quetta and directed the police to arrest the culprits. In a statement, Langove said that the terrorists behind the attack would be brought to justice.__Tribune.com