Pakistan to submit evidence against Kulbhushan

Pakistan to submit evidence against Kulbhushan

International Comments Off 3
Print Friendly

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said on Friday that Islamabad would present evidence in the case of detained Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague on February 19.
Speaking at a reception in Manchester, UK, Qureshi said his country’s legal team would present its stance in the case. The FM
added that Jadav had already confessed that he was involved in terrorist activities in Pakistan.
Last year, the ICJ had decided to hold public hearings in the Jadhav case from February 2019. The hearings are to take place from February 18 to February 21 at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the ICJ had announced.
Jadhav, according to Pakistan, was arrested on March 3, 2016 from Balochistan’s Mashkhel area. New Delhi, however, said he was a retired Indian Navy officer who was abducted from Iran.
A secret Pakistan military court which had tried Jadhav on charges of espionage and subversive activities in Pakistan had sentenced him to death in April 2017. His appeals against his conviction had been rejected by the military appellate court.
On India’s appeal, the ICJ had stopped Pakistan from carrying out the punishment.
On December 25, 2017, Pakistan had arranged Jadhav’s meeting with his mother and wife, which ended in a diplomatic spat
between the two countries over the security checks that Jadhav’s family had to go through in Pakistan. They were also not allowed to speak to him in their native language. Pakistan had turned down all Indian requests seeking consular access to Jadhav.

(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)

Author

Back to Top