Kashmir shuts for 2nd consecutive day, restrictions imposed

Kashmir shuts for 2nd consecutive day, restrictions imposed

Austria Comments Off 18
Print Friendly

Srinagar, (KNS): A complete shutdown was observed for the second consecutive day across the Valley while the authorities imposed restrictions in Srinagar areas to thwart any possible protest against the killings in Shopian.
However, a civilian who has sustained injuries on Monday succumbed to his injuries SKIMS today, officials said.
Medical Superintendent SKIMS, Dr Farooq Jan told Kashmir News Service (KNS) that youth identified as Gowhar Ahmad Rather of Kangan who was admitted in the institute has succumbed to his injuries.
Rather was rushed to SKIMS Soura for treatment on Monday after he sustained injuries in Kangan.
He was put on ventilator since last evening and succumbed to his injuries today.
Dr Jan told KNS that one more youth who has sustained critical injuries was rushed to SKIMS and is being treated.
Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani,, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik had extended the shutdown call for Tuesday and appealed people to march towards Shopian on Wednesday to express solidarity with the bereaved families.
In response of the shutdown call, the district administration Srinagar imposed restrictions in Srinagar areas falling under the jurisdiction of seven police station including Rainawari, MR Gunj, Safa Kadal, Khanyar, Nowhatta, Kral Khud and Maisuma Police Stations.
Officials told KNS that partial restrictions were imposed in the areas falling under the jurisdiction of Kral Khud and Maisuma police stations.
Witnesses said that forces were deployed in huge number in the restriction bound areas who had erected temporary barricades on the roads.
They however said that the road leading to Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) remained open.
Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Kangan area of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district where scores of youth sustained injuries and were shifted to hospital for treatment.
Soon after the news about the death of a youth spread in the area, the locals mostly youth took to streets to protest against his killing.
Witnesses said that they also pelted stones on forces who used tear gas canisters to disperse them.
Meanwhile, barring south Kashmir districts, authorities have restored the mobile internet services in Kashmir.
The services were suspended on Sunday following the encounters in southern districts that led to the killing of 13 militants, four civilians and three Army troopers.
The train services continued to remain suspended in Kashmir today in view of the prevailing situation in Kashmir.
Schools and Colleges across the Valley also remained closed today in view of the prevailing situation while Kashmir University had postponed all the examinations scheduled for today.
A senior police official told KNS that barring few stone pelting incidents, situation across the Valley remain peaceful and under control throughout the day. (

(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)


Back to Top