Normal life resumes in Kashmir

Normal life resumes in Kashmir

Kashmir, Kashmir -IOK Comments Off 30
Print Friendly

Srinagar, July 9 (KNS): Normal life resumed in Kashmir today a day after a shutdown was observed on the first anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen Commander Burhan Wani, and curfew imposed by authorities in many parts of the valley to thwart rallies and protests.

March-9, 2013-SRINAGAR:An aerial view of Main Lal Chowk as Kashmir witness normal life, vehicles play on roads on Saturday after six days of curfew. Curfew was imposed in major towns of Kashmir to prevent protest in view of the volatile situation following the death of a Baramulla youth in army firing earlier this week. Excelsior Photo/Mohd Amin War


Traffic plied on roads, shops and other business units were opened in all the towns of the valley except in Tral where shutdown was observed by the people on the second day today, though separatists had no called for any shutdown.
A complete shutdown was also being observed in Trehgam in Kupwara on the third consecutive day against the alleged high handedness of police. Locals said that forces threw stones on glass panes of a Jamia Masjid on Friday when protests had erupted following Friday prayers.
The Sunday flea market witnessed a significant rush despite hot weather. Train services in the valley resumed today after two days continue suspension. The service was suspended on Friday, in wake of maiden anniversary of popular militant commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani. The services were suspended on Srinagar-Baramulla segment and Banihal-Srinagar section.
Annual Amarnath Yarta also resumed today after day long suspension due to shutdown in Kashmir on first death anniversary of Hizb commander Burhan wani. Yatra was suspended on Saturday due to security reasons, officials said.
The 40-day-long Yatra to the Himalayan cave shrine started on June 29 and will end on August 7 on Shravan Purnima coinciding with the Raksha Bandhan festival. So far, over one lakh pilgrims have reached the shrine located on the hills of Pahalgam.
The valley observed a complete shutdown on Saturday on the first death anniversary of Wani, with authorities closing clamping down all access to roads and internet services suspended across the valley. (KNS)

(Visited 33 times, 1 visits today)


Back to Top